Use the following 2-step equation to determine a daily total-diet feeding rate for large felines, on a dry matter (DM) basis*. If animals are supplemented with other foods, the amount of Mazuri® Exotic Feline Diet, Large offered must be reduced. If feeding meat items, the higher moisture content of these must be factored to ensure inclusion of proper amounts.
- 140 x (kg body weight) 0.75 = Feed intake (kcal/day)
- Feed intake / 3,410 = kilograms of diet to feed daily, DM
- In general, by using equations above, the recommended feed intake will be 1-3% of body weight per day.
- Animals that are growing, reproducing (particularly during late stages of pregnancy), or lactating lactation will have higher needs.
- While these equations are a useful starting point, it is always best to feed to body condition and keep animals at optimal body condition even if that means feeding more, or often less, than the equation would predict.
*Recommendations for exotic felines range from 55 - 260 kcal x kg BW (NRC of Dogs and Cats, 2006.)
Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, ground brown rice, dried beet pulp, porcine meat and bone meal, dehulled soybean meal, corn grits, poultry fat preserved with BHA, natural poultry flavor, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA and citric acid, wheat germ, phosphoric acid, soybean oil, fish oil (menhaden), whey, brewers dried yeast, calcium propionate (a preservative), taurine, calcium carbonate, dried egg product, potassium chloride, lecithin, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, l-lysine, mixed tocopherols (preservative, form of vitamin E; citric acid, rosemary extract), ferrous sulfate, inositol, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (form of vitamin E), niacin, manganous oxide, thiamin mononitrate, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, l-tryptophan, zinc sulfate, vitamin A acetate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, biotin, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), vitamin B12 supplement.